A recent study revealed that diets high in omega 3 fatty acids make rats smarter while other diets high in sugars make them well, stupid.
Everyone knows fish (especially fatty fish) is abundant in omega 3s. But what if you aren’t a fan of fish? Here are a list of other paleo friendly foods high in omega 3’s. (Please note all foods in “full lists” may not be paleo friendly). The top sources from this list are flax seed and chia seed. Please see the links to find the amount of omega-3's in each food source.
Foods besides fish that are high in Omega-3’s:
Seeds and Nuts
- Chia Seeds
- Full list of seeds and nuts high in Omega-3
- Leafy greens
- Grape leaves
- Algae, Seaweed, Spirulina (Contains DHA and EPA)
- Full list of vegetables high in Omega-3
- Full list of fruits high in Omega-3
- Flax seed oil
- Hemp seed oil
- Walnut oil
- Mustard oil
- Rapeseed oil
- Full list of non-fish oils high in Omega-3 (scroll to bottom of page)
- Grass fed beef
- Cow, goat, lamb (any animal) brain
- More information on meat sources of Omega-3
I hope this list helps you finds some new ways to incorporate Omega-3’s into your diet. Please note that the above sources are not significant sources of DHA or EPA (which many credit to the improvement in cognitive function). To learn more about the different classes of Omega-3's and food sources visit the DHA Omega 3 Institute, your brain will thank you.